Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
On this and the following pages we provide useful information on our language courses and language camps. To help you find answers to your questions as quickly and easily as possible, we have grouped the FAQs according to our different target groups.
If you have any further questions or comments, please contact us using the adjacent contact details!
FAQ about Language Courses
- How old do I have to be to participate in a language course?
- Are there any language courses for absolute beginners?
- Is any English spoken at these courses?
- Are the teachers native speakers?
- How early on should I book a language course?
- Can I book a one-week language course?
- What are language camps for kids?
- How many students are assigned to each language course?
- How many hours a week are used for classes?
- What levels are offered?
- Is a placement test taken?
- When do the courses start?
FAQ about Accommodation
FAQ about Examinations
FAQ About Insurance
FAQ about Language Courses
1. How old do I have to be to participate in a language course?
Our normal language courses are recommended for participants aged 18 or older. For young people aged between 10 and 17 years old, we recommend our language camps which are specially tailored for this age group.
2. Are there any language courses for absolute beginners?
Yes, certainly! You can book a language course with us as an absolute beginner and after two weeks, you'll already have reached a level with which you can make yourself understood in certain everyday situations.
3. Is any English spoken at these courses?
Apart from during the English courses, the answer is no - for two reasons. Firstly, by avoiding English, participants will learn to find their way around the new language as quickly as possible and, secondly, the other students on the language course may not have an English-speaking background.
4. Are the teachers native speakers?
Our teachers all speak in their mother tongue. This enables our language courses to be of a superior quality.
5. How early on should I book a language course?
We recommend you begin booking a course approximately 3 months in advance, so as to avoid disappointment. The complete payment will have to be deposited 3 weeks before the beginning of the actual course. Read our booking conditions for full details.
6. Can I book a one-week language course?
Yes, but only an Intensive language course. The other language courses have a minimum duration of 2 weeks.
7. What are language camps for kids?
Our language camps for kids and teens are specialized language study abroad experiences which are aimed at young people aged between 10 and 17 years old.
Participants will benefit by overcoming shyness when communicating in the language, learning grammar structures, and expanding their vocabulary without being exposed to traditional classroom stress. In the afternoons we offer a supervised, tailor-made activity program. This enables immersion into the language and culture of the host country. Language camp participants are supervised for the duration of their course to ensure their safety.
Our language camps are held in: England (Brighton, Devon, London), Malta (St. Julians, St. Paul's Bay), France (Nice),Mexico (Playa del Carmen), Canada (Toronto), Germany (Oberwesel, Frankfurt, Augsburg), Italy (Rome), and Spain (Barcelona)
The camp’s price includes:
- Language course with 20 lessons a week
- Educational materials
- Accommodation and board as booked
- Full-time supervision by our trained group leaders
- Transfer to/from the airport
- Accompanied tours and excursions
- Daily activities
8. How many students are assigned to each language course?
Depending on the type of language course and the city the school is in, the maximum number of students per course ranges between 8 and 12 participants.
9. How many hours a week are used for classes?
- Part-time Course : 10 lessons per week
- Semi-intensive Course : 20 lessons per week
- Intensive Course : 30 lessons per week
- Individual Lessons : 10, 20 or 30 lessons per week
- Mini-group Course: 20 lessons per week
- Afternoon Course: 20 lessons per week
- Exam Preparation Course: 20 lessons per week
- Long-term Course: 20 or 30 lessons per week
- Business Course: 30 lessons per week
10. What levels are offered?
Our courses are divided into: Basic, Intermediate, Advanced and Higher Advanced levels. Each of these levels is subdivided into three further levels, according to the ability of the student.
11. Is a placement test taken?
On the first day of their course each student takes a placement test/leveling test in order for us to assign them to the course level that best fits their current language skills.
Why not test yourself right now so you can get an approximate idea of what level you are currently at? Try one of our online language tests for English, Spanish, French, Italian and German.
12. When do the courses start?
Courses are held all year round. Normally, courses start every Monday and classes are held till Friday. Some destinations have start days other then Mondays, so please check the prices and services page of your desired destination.
FAQ about Accommodation
13. What about accommodation?
The accommodation options vary according to the city your language course is held in. Sprachcaffe offers several types, including residential accommodation, apartments and hotels. Arranging accommodation yourself is another option. Check out the Prices and Services page for each city to get more specific information on the accommodation options available there.
14. Is board included with accommodation?
Depending on the destination the accommodation may include full board, half board or no board. Generally apartments offer no board while the homestay accommodations offer half or full board options. Check out the Prices and Services page for each city to get more specific details.
15. When is the best day to arrive at my accommodation?
Accommodation is made available on Sundays or, otherwise, on the day before your course starts. Some types of accommodation in certain cities have different arrival/departure days. More information can be found on the different destinations' pages - check out the Prices & Services page for each city.
If you have booked a transfer from the airport to your accommodation, you will be met by a Sprachcaffe team-member and accompanied to your lodging place. If you do not have a transfer booked, then you should follow the directions provided in our welcome pack.
16. When should I plan my departure day for?
Normally, the day of departure should be a Saturday, or a day after you finish your course. Some accommodation types in certain cities have different arrival / departure days, such as the school residence in Brighton, which must be vacated on the last Friday of your course. More information can be found on the different destinations' pages - check out the Prices & Services page for each city.
If you have booked a transfer from your accommodation to the airport, you will be accompanied all the way by a member of the Sprachcaffe team. If you have not booked a transfer, you can get all the necessary information on how to get to the airport during your stay with us, prior to your departure - just ask at our school reception!
17. Are any leisure activities organized?
Each school organizes evening activities and weekend excursions for students to enjoy. There's no time to get bored with Sprachcaffe!
18. Are certificates given upon course completion?
Upon completion of a language course each student receives a certificate of participation. Long term courses can also lead on to international examinations.
19. Which international examinations can be prepared for at Sprachcaffe?
|"Cambridge Certificate"||(PET, FCE,
|Malta, Brighton, London|
|"Diploma de Espanõl
como Lengua Extranjera"
|(D.E.L.E.)||Madrid, Malaga, Barcelona|
| "Diplôme d'Etude de
| "Certificazione di italiano
come Lingua Straniera"
| "Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang" and
"Deutsch als Fremdsprache"
|(D.S.H. & TestDAF)||Frankfurt|
20. How can I pay for my course? When can I make a payment?
You can pay by credit card, by bank transfer, or even by cheque. More details on the accepted methods of payment and deadlines can be found on our booking site.
FAQ About Insurance
21. Do I Need Health Insurance?
We strongly recommend a good medical coverage. You can either obtain your own health insurance or purchase one at the school on arrival.