- Romantic language
- 360 million native speakers
- Official language in 20+ countries
- Spanish spoken in Spain, Latin America, etc
By taking a Spanish Language Course with Sprachcaffe, you will be able to handle the official language used in Spain, Cuba and Mexico and many other countries. Here are some facts on the Spanish language.
- Spanish as a first language is used worldwide by around 360 million people. Countries using Spanish include Spain, Cuba, Latin American countries and even some parts of the United States.
- Spanish as a second language is spoken by a further 420 million people. Thus, Spanish is in the ranks with Mandarin-Chinese, English and Hindi as the world's most widely spoken languages.
- Spanish is also spoken in other regions over the world. This is due to colonial times, when the Spanish set up colonies in foreign parts of the globe. Some of these places include Andorra, Belize, Morocco, The Dutch Antilles, the Philippines, Trinidad and Tobago, West Sahara, as well as the British colony in Gibraltar, situated in Spain. Here in Gibraltar, Spanish is even the official language, along with English.
- Modern Spanish is part of the Romance languages. Besides Spanish, the languages forming part of this group that exist to this day include Portuguese (also Brazilian Portuguese), French, Italian, Romanian (including the Moldavian dialect), Catalan and Galician.
Are you interested in the language? If you are not convinced by the figures, then try our section Why learn Spanish? You can also whet your appetite by getting to know the fantastic destinations where we offer Spanish Language Courses. And if you have already started studying Spanish, don't miss our Tips for learners.