Shopping in France
- Exceptional wines, cheeses, pâtés and mustard
- High-quality antiques and porcelain
- Exclusive haute couture fashion
- Countless perfumes and fragrances
With all the wonderful things France has to offer, it is very likely that you'll be tempted to do some shopping here. Crafts, wines and cheeses are some of the best articles to buy in France.
- If you are headed for wines, the best thing to do is to go directly to the producers -"vignerons "-, or to the "Maisons or Syndicats du Vin". The most economic option is buying "vrac", boxes with 5 to 10 bottles filled directly from the barrels. French cognac and champagne is also highly recommended.
- If the exquisite French cheeses are more to your liking, in order to buy a sample of the enormous variety, the most advisable thing is to go to a fromagerie, which can carry hundreds of different varieties. Other gourmet delicacies to consider shopping for include mustard and pâtés.
- Other great things to shop for in France are definitely the antiques and porcelain. The ceramics, pottery and porcelain - in some places called "faïence"-, is of exceptional quality, especially the porcelain produced in the city of Limoges. Other crafts include tapestries, hand blown glass and Lalique crystal.
- In France there's an ample supply of stores where to buy clothes. With Paris being the haute couture capital of the world, stores of the great designers such as Yves St-Laurent, Armani, Chanel or Versace are easy to find. More economic alternatives can be found in department stores, the Lafayette galleries, and the so called "discount stores", with quality clothes from the last season. France is also the land of perfumes and sophisticated fragrances always make for wonderful gifts.
An interesting shopping alternative in France is visiting the numerous street and flea markets which you will find in almost all French cities, towns and villages one or twice per week.
Generally Monday - Saturday 9:00 am - 7:00 pm (usually later in Paris). Food stores may open earlier.
Monday-Friday 9:00 am - noon and 2:00 - 4:00 pm.