As one of the most melodious languages in the world French is a pleasure to learn, speak and hear. With the language’s rapid and continual growth in all aspects of modern life – learning French offers an invitation into a whole new world of linguistic diversity. Not only is the language one of the most popular foreign languages, but it is also one of the most spoken languages in the commercial world.
Here are a few things you might not know about the French language:
- The French language has official language status in 29 countries. This number is second only to English which is an official language in 45 countries.
- French is used as one of the United Nations' main working languages. It is also the official administrative language in international organisations, from UNESCO to the International Monetary Fund.
- There are over 338 million French speakers across the globe.
- The French language forms part of the Romance language family along with Spanish, Italian and more.
- French is spoken throughout Europe as well as in Canada and in many African countries.
Learning French is a liberating and enlightening experience. With the benefits of knowing this beautiful language you will not only enjoy the freedom that multilingualism affords, but it will provide you with a remarkable link to the history of the French language as well as its place of origin. For more information on the benefits of learning French, see Why Learn French.