Universities and colleges around the world offer courses that are taught only in the English language, which makes it easier for international students to enrol in study abroad programmes.
If you are applying to a university or even an international company, you will probably need an English certificate to prove that you have a good level of English.
Below we will go through some of the general information about the different English certificates that are commonly accepted around the world.
Our exam preparation courses are semi-intensive courses which focus on preparing you for specific exams. The structure is similar to that of semi-intensive courses but with more of a long-term goal. This structure is ideal for students who prefer a more thorough, in-depth language course. Completing an exam preparation course can help students attain important qualifications and are well suited to those hoping to gain a place at university or to advance career prospects. Our exam preparation courses help students prepare for internationally recognised exams, including the official Cambridge examinations, IELTS and TOEFL exams.
The TOEFL exam is a respected academic language test. Many universities require the TOEFL examination for evidence of language proficiency. The test therefore includes the vocabulary and form that is required in the various universities departments.
With our recognized TOEFL course you have the opportunity to systematically develop your English skills and prepare for the tests of the TOEFL exam. Material from the TOEFL preparation course is adjacent to the practice of listening and reading comprehension as well as speaking mainly English grammar.
The TOEFL iBT exam takes place online and the TOEFL PBT is done on-site on paper. This means that TOEFL is the only language certificate where the test can be taken completely online.
The TOEFL test takes 3 hours to complete and consists of 4 parts. Each part is scored up to 30 points, giving a maximum score of 120 points:
The most common score required by universities is 70-90 (B1/B2). Some universities also require minimum scores in some of the 4 parts of the exam. The price of the TOEFL test varies widely from country to country. In the USA, for example, it costs 205 USD.
You can prepare for the TOEFL Exam at the following Sprachcaffe language schools:
- Ottawa, Canada
- <link english study_abroad language_schools toronto main.htm internal-link>Toronto, Canada
- <link english adults-english-courses-canada montreal.htm internal-link>Montréal, Canada
- <link english adults-english-courses-canada vancouver.htm internal-link>Vancouver, Canada
- <link english adults-english-courses-canada victoria.htm internal-link>Victoria, Canada
- <link english adults-english-courses-canada calgary.htm internal-link>Calgary, Canada
The IELTS is an English test that is recognised by more than 6,000 institutions and universities worldwide. It is used as proof of existing English language skills, for work, study or travel.
The IELTS Academic consists of 4 parts or sections:
The test takes about 2 hours and 45 minutes to complete. It is available online as well as on paper. In both versions, the spoken part is conducted in person by a certified examiner.
The IELTS exam preparation courses usually start every 4 weeks. The course duration is 12 weeks. The maximum number of participants for the exam course is 14 students.
Prices will vary in different countries. For example, the IELTS in the USA costs between 215 - 240 USD. The IELTS certificate is valid for two years.
Cambridge English Language Assessment (formerly University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations) is a non-profit organisation that offers English language certificates for different language levels. It offers many types of exams, but the most popular are:
- FCE (First Certificate in English): Recognises the ability to deal confidently with a range of written and spoken communications. Successful candidates will have a wide grasp of vocabulary, and should be able to construct an argument and use appropriate communication styles for a variety of situations.
- CAE (Certificate of Advanced English): This is an advanced exam, and is for learners who have reached a standard of English that is adequate for most purposes. Success at this level indicates the ability to use English effectively and perform confidently in social and professional situations, and in higher education.
The test is divided into 4 parts:
- Reading and Use of English
In contrast to other certificates, Cambridge certificates do not have an expiry date.